On Friday lunchtimes Harewood and Avonbourne students meet together for a joint Christian Union held at Harewood. It runs both lunchtimes.
In this meeting Christians are able to support and encourage one another by sharing how their week has gone. The group is also attended by those who are interested in finding out more about the Christian faith and all are welcome. A typical session would include time to chat, discussion of a Bible passage and lots of biscuits!
Wednesday lunchtimes we have a Bible study in the Video Conferencing Suite. It's an opportunity for students of all ages to meet together, to read and discuss the Bible in depth. The majority of those who come are Christian, however all are welcome.
We meet every Wednesday after school in R2. Students bring their 'Big Questions' and we discuss these together. For example we've discussed 'What happens when you die?', 'Why do we celebrate Halloween?', 'What is the apocalypse?' All ages are welcome and biscuits are enjoyed.
House assemblies take place weekly, encompassing the Earth Charter which is based around 4 pillars and 16 principles. Each month the college promotes a new principle, this encourages us to join together to bring forth a sustainable global society founded on respect for nature, universal human rights, economic justice and a culture of peace. The Earth Charter Pillars and Principles are as follows:
Respect and Care for the Community of Life
- Respect Earth and all life.
- Understand, love and care for the community of life.
- Find ways for people to live together peacefully and work together for the good of all.
- Make Earth healthy and beautiful for children.
All forms of life are interconnected
5. Protect and restore the web of life.
6. Don’t take chances if there is a possibility that Earths environment may be harmed.
7. Live and do business in ways that are healthy for Earth and for people.
8. Share with others what you know about how to protect and restore Earth’s health.
Everyone deserves equal opportunities
9. Guarantee that everyone has enough to meet their basic needs.
10. Be sure that everyone gets a fair share of Earth’s resources.
11. Secure equality for women and girls.
12. Protect the rights of all people to live indignity, health and happiness.
Protect freedoms and create peace
13. The purpose of government is to serve and protect people.
14. Study and learn ways to protect and restore the web of life.
15. Treat all living beings with respect and consideration.
16. Encourage people to use their words to resolve conflicts.
In addition to the Earth Charter the college promotes school expectations of attendance, good behaviour, uniform and punctuality and encourages participation in extra- curricular activities.
Return to The Health Hub