Young Carer is a child under 18 who regularly helps to look after a family member who has a physical or mental disability.
At Avonbourne we support our young carers. We hold a monthly lunch club where students have the opportunity to talk, share concerns with other young carers and receive advice for additional support should they require it. If you require further information, please contact either:
Children who are young carers can have the following responsibilities:-
- Practical tasks (cooking, housework and shopping).
- Physical care (lifting or helping someone use the stairs).
- Personal care (dressing, washing, helping with toilet needs).
- Managing the family budget (collecting benefits and prescriptions).
- Managing medication.
- Looking after younger siblings.
- Helping someone communicate.