Safeguarding Information

Safeguarding at Harewood - Every Child Matters


Designated safeguarding lead: Mr. Phillip Taylor

Deputy safeguarding lead: Mrs. Dori Cribb

Deputy safeguarding lead: Mrs. Emma Chabaani


There may be occasions when parents, carers or neighbours become concerned about the safety of a child who attends Harewood College. If you are concerned that a child is not safe then please email the school safeguarding officer using the email address below…

Inside the email please provide as much detail as possible about the concern such as…

  • Child’s full name
  • Date of Birth for the child (if known)
  • Details of the concern

Alternatively, please phone the school on 01202 398451 and ask to speak to a member of staff about a child protection matter. Should you wish to remain anonymous please put your concern in writing and address it to:

Adam Coshan     Jason Holbrook
Executive Headteacher (Acting) or   Executive Headteacher (Acting)
Harewood College     Avonbourne College
Harewood Avenue     Harewood Avenue
Bournemouth     Bournemouth
BH7 6NZ     BH7 6NY

If you have serious concerns because you think that a child might be being abused (physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse or neglect) or at risk of radicalisation you should contact the Children’s Services Department at Bournemouth Council:

  • During office hours (8.30am to 5.00pm) you should contact Children’s Services:  01202 458101
  • At all other times you should contact the Out of Hours Service:  01202 657279

For all emergency situations please call 999.

Common Safeguarding Questions

When and what might I be concerned about?

At any time you might be concerned about the information which suggest a child is being neglected, subjected radicalisation or experiencing physical, emotional or sexual harm.

You may notice physical signs, notice changes in the child’s behaviour or presentation, pick up signs of emotional distress or have a child disclose a harmful experience to you.

Harm to a child can be caused by:

  • A parent/carer
  • A family member / friend
  • Another child
  • A stranger
  • A member of staff / volunteer

What should I do if a child discloses that she / he is being harmed?

  1. Confidentiality - Do not promise to keep what is said a secret.
  2. Listen – Listen carefully to what is being said to you. DO NOT INTERRUPT.
  3. Reassure – Reassure the student that it is not their fault, stress that it was the right thing to tell.
  4. Be calm, attentive and non-judgemental
  5. Ask non leading questions, only if necessary e.g. (who, what when, why and how) to clarify.
  6. ​Then follow the steps outlined below.

What must I do?

  1. Share your concerns verbally with the Designated Safeguarding Lead or any member of the Leadership Team.
  2. Make a written record (using the students own words), sign and date it.
  3. Pass the written record to the Designated Safeguarding lead without delay.

What should I do if the alleged abuser is a member of staff working with children?

If your concern is about a staff member or volunteer, you must report this to the Designated Safeguarding Lead, Deputy CEO (Mr. Coshan) or the CEO (Mrs Godfrey-Phaure).

If however, your concern is about the CEO, you should report this to the Chair of Governors. The senior person will then contact the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) on 01202 452766 for a discussion.

If you are unclear about any aspect of safeguarding at Harewood then please seek advice from your Designated Safeguarding Lead for Child Protection.

Click to download leaflet

Useful documents and links

Harewood Safeguarding Policy

Keeping Children Safe In Education

Working Together to Safeguard Children


NSPCC Parent Helpline

Poole Family Information Service

Vodafone - Digital parenting

Bournemouth Borough Council Anti-Bullying strategy latest guidance

Advice for parents on Cyberbullying

Summer Safety

SSCT parents online safety newsletter autumn 2017

If you require a paper copy of our safeguarding policy or a translated version then please contact Phillip Taylor (